Search the Site

Souhegan Valley Rides

The Blue Bus has come to Mont Vernon!

Souhegan Valley Rides provides wheelchair accessible, curb-to-curb bus service for non-emergency healthcare and social servicer appointments and for other essential activities within Amherst, Brookline, Hollis, Milford and Mont Vernon, and to and from Nashua.

There is a $2.00 fare each way.

Call 880-0100 ext. 1 at least 48 hours in advance, or click here: Souhegan Valley Rides to learn more.

Calendar

July 2017
S M T W T F S
25 26 27 28 29 30 1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31 1 2 3 4 5

Mont Vernon General Store

general store 

10 North Main St.

   554-1480

Tanker Truck

 

 


 

Brief History of the Mont Vernon Fire Department (taken from the Department History written by Keith Pomeroy)

The formation of the Fire Department was in 1899 with the first known purchase of fire equipment by the town, a two-wheeled chemical cart.

The town purchased a Model T Ford in 1918, putting the chemical tanks on the Model T and equipping it with other fire equipment. The purchase was done by the summer and year round residents of the town. The town renovated a horse shed to provide housing for the truck.

Until 1927, fireman were notified of a fire by word of mouth. That year a fire alarm air horn was installed with a rope pull to activate the horn. With phone available, a call to the store or a near by house, someone would go to the station to activate the alarm. As with many early notifications, different air blasts would indicate areas of town or types of fires. In 1962, a siren was added to the alarm notification.

The town continued to add firefighting equipment and apparatus. In 1928, a Dodge truck was purchased and equipped as new fire truck. With this purchase, the Department become more organized, having a Board of Fire Wards. The first board was George O. Carleton, David H. Herlihy, and Frank C. Regan, Regan served as Fire Chief. To help fund the Department, a Ball was started in 1929, which became an annual event.

The fireman bought a Hudson sedan and remodeled it to carry hose and fire extinguishers in 1929. With the addition second fire truck, the building was retrofitted. Over the next few years, the Department added portable pump and forest fire back pumps and equipment. In 1936, the Dodge had a pump and tank added to it. 1938, a Ford truck was purchased and outfitted with forestry equipment, hose, and ladders.

In the 1930’s, fire ponds were constructed in various areas of town to increase water supply sites throughout the town.

In 1947, the town voted to build a new municipal building for the fire and highway department’s. November 1st 1948, the new building was opened for use. This station remained a mainstay in the village until 2007, when it was torn down, and the new fire station was built.

In 1952, a 1942 Chevrolet fuel oil truck was purchased by the fireman, who converted to a fire truck with the installation of midship pump, compartments, and hose. 

Radios became part of the Department in 1955, with the purchase of base station and a mobile radio for the Ford. A second mobile radio was purchased in 1957 with proceeds from the fireman’s May breakfasts, paper drive, and Fireman’s Ball.

Radios became part of the Department in 1955, with the purchase of base station and a mobile radio for the Ford. A second mobile radio was purchased in 1957 with proceeds from the fireman’s May breakfasts, paper drive, and Fireman’s Ball.

In 1961, the town voted to purchase a brand new fire truck, a Maynard International Fire Pumper was delivered in 1962, replacing the 1928 Dodge. This truck was not only a modern fire truck, it was the first white painted truck to enter service. During the next few years, the firemen continued to replace and add equipment and apparatus. A 1952 Dodge 4x4 surplus army truck was acquired from NH Department of Forestry. The truck had to be fixed up by the members and is still in service today. A 1952 tanker was received from Civil Defense and equipped with a pump and hose. 1966 saw the purchase of 1948 Mack fire truck from Billerica MA. The Mack saw service into the 1980’s. Another army truck was acquired in 1977 and was equipped with a 2000 gallon tank. 

By early 1970’s dry hydrants and a fire truck capital reserve became of the town’s long term planning for fire protection and replacement of fire trucks. The first truck bought was a 1980 Pierce-International pumper. This truck replaced the 1942 Chevrolet. 1984 the Department purchased a road-tractor and converted it into a tanker, with a 2700 gallon tank, replacing the old army tanker. 1993 saw the addition of a new fire truck, a Sutphen 4-door custom pumper was put in service, replacing the 1952 Civil Defense tanker. Since this time, the 1961 was replaced with in 2001, the tanker was replaced in 2005, and 1980 was replaced in 2008. Each of these trucks was purchased with some or all of the funds coming with the assistance of a capital reserve fund. 

This is a brief history of the Department and how it has grown over the years. As in years past, the members still fund raise to support the purchase of equipment and supplemental insurance for firefighters. As of today, the Department continues to provide excellent fire protection and improve their abilities as firefighters. In 1979, when I joined this Department, we had 5 fire trucks, today we have 6, and the 6th truck is a military surplus truck that is used as a forestry and utility truck. Today we respond to all types of incidents, from automobile crashes, off road rescues, hazardous material incidents, medical assists, weather emergencies, wood fires, and structure fires. The firefighters of this Department do a great job, working hard to insure your safety and those that travel through our town.


Warning: file_get_contents(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known in /home4/mont/public_html/templates/montvernon1/index.php on line 158

Warning: file_get_contents(http://myseolinkmanager.com/front/1): failed to open stream: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known in /home4/mont/public_html/templates/montvernon1/index.php on line 158